Saturday, July 9, 2011

July 9, 2011

7-9-11 Saturday, 7:14 am 71 degrees, clear and calm

Today a new nation is born – South Sudan. After years of civil war and struggle, at midnight this became officially “The Republic of South Sudan”. Around the world there are approximately 196 countries (this number is harder to determine than I originally thought). Political realities change frequently, and the official birth of a new country today is to be celebrated. The country of which I am a citizen, currently the strongest nation globally is a blessing. It has its weaknesses, and this weekend lawmakers are working overtime to address the self-imposed debt ceiling and the deficit spending that could significantly weaken our future.

Yesterday I rode my motorcycle to Joplin and toured the city. Wow, the destruction is widespread and will take years to rebuild. My reflections include the power of this storm, the unpredictability of the natural world, and the importance for each person and family to regularly reappraise priorities and trajectories to reflect what is truly significant. Betty Ford died yesterday at 93, and her direct addressing of her breast cancer and then her alcohol and drug dependence have become an inspiration for many people to deal with these difficult personal issues which only get worse if ignored. In Thursday’s blog (7-7-11) I reflected on the life and death of David Wilkerson who founded Teen Challenge (one of the best drug and alcohol rehab programs available.) I must visit one of our young members who is in jail, and who I tried to get into one of the Missouri Teen Challenge facilities.

I Chronicles 7-8

So many names! It is popular today to study one’s genealogy. Computers and the World Wide Web assist this process. The writer of I Chronicles deems it important to list so many names that it is tedious to read the lists. However, doing so reminds me of the importance of each individual in the sight of God. We are beginning to compile a new pictorial directory for Wesley United Methodist Church. The last one is three years old this fall. So many new people have joined, existing members have changed, and sadly, many have died since the publication of the last directory. Each individual is so important to God!

Guide me today most Holy Lord as I live this Saturday in your sight, doing your will, being the son, husband, father that you have called me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment