Thursday, July 28, 2011

July 28, 2011

7-28-11 Thursday, 5:12 am Springfield, 77 degrees (high yesterday 101).

I am enjoying this hot summer! Yesterday was a very full day of pastoral work, including the hiring of an additional fulltime staff, a precious visit with a family celebrating the birth of their third child (I got to hold the 17 hour-old baby!), correspondence in the afternoon, wedding planning, and the benefit dinner for Danny Smith which went very well, and in which were auctioned off 3 one-hour flights with me. The Cherokee 140 is now back on line, with the small intake manifold leak repaired. Audrey comes home today, and David and Danelle arrive with her tonight for a week-end visit. I will be doing some housecleaning today!

Romans 13

Verses 1-7 describe the subjection that every follower of Christ should observe in relationship to governing authorities, because “there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.” The practical outworking of this is summarized in verse 7: “Render to all what is due them: tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.” It is one thing to read this section as a citizen of the United States, it is far different to read it as a citizen of a country where the government is directly opposed to Christianity, and the followers of Christ are persecuted, as they were for example in Nazi Germany.

Verses 8-14 contain many practical admonitions: “Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another.” (8) “Let us behave properly as in the day, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual promiscuity and sensuality, not in strife and jealousy.” (13) “But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts.” (14)

Today, most Holy Lord, I put on the Lord Jesus Christ. May my actions, thoughts and plans be clothed in the love of Jesus as I make no provision for the flesh, and as I am in subjection to the governing authorities. Guard me from haughtiness and arrogance. Guide my reading, my thinking, my acting, my serving, my leading on this day which is a gift from You.

No comments:

Post a Comment