Saturday, July 2, 2011

July 2, 2011

7-2-11 Saturday, 7:39 am Springfield, 74 degrees, clear and sunny.

Ahh, the 4th of July holiday weekend. I have the honor of officiating at a small wedding at Wesley this morning. Yesterday we had a great worship planning session, including a drop in visit from Dwight, our district superintendent to welcome our new pastor, Matt Kerner. Tomorrow Matt will preach at all four services and we will have a reception for him and his family in the gathering area.

Psalm 150 – Praise the Lord!

Let everything that breathes sing praises to the Lord. This glorious Psalm is the final one in the collection. It is pure praise. George O. Wood has written a very helpful devotional commentary on this Psalms, and he suggests that verse 1 gives the where of praise – the sanctuary and the heavens. The sanctuary on earth includes the temple in Jerusalem, the assembled congregation and the heart of the individual believer. “And praise ascends beyond earthly containment into the very sanctuary of heaven itself.” (p. 605 A Psalm in Your Heart)

Verse 2 gives the why of praise – exalt Him for His deeds and his character. Ascribe to the Lord… During my week at camp recently we worked on the psalm that encourages the believer to state the characteristics of God. Every year we should discover more reasons to be impressed with God. I am now sitting on the back deck and as I came outside my heart simply settled into a mode of praise for the wonders of God in creation – the birds, the trees, the sky, the breeze. I look forward to praising God every day of my life, exalting him for his deeds and his character.

Verse 3-5 gives us the how of praise – eight instruments are named plus dance. I desire to praise him in every way possible. Verse 6 tells us who should praise God – everything that breathes – that includes me, everyone I know, and all of creation. Jesus said that the rocks would break out into praise if others did not.

Lord, on this Saturday morning, sitting on my deck in the shade as the sun begins its (apparent) ascent, I praise your Holy Name. I know that You are Lord of heaven and earth, and that I live and move and have breath through your Spirit. Your life is my life, and I desire to allow your light to shine in the darkness that all nations may be drawn to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment