Tuesday, July 26, 2011

July 26, 2011

7-26-11 Tuesday, 6:18 am Springfield, 75 muggy degrees

Yesterday I took my nephew fishing at Roaring River State Park. For the first time, I was skunked, no fish to take home from this trout stream. We had a good time, the cloud cover kept the temperature low, and we fished hard for 4 hours. Last evening I read from Bonhoeffer’s Ethics, posthumously compiled from his notes and scraps. I also viewed a documentary about his life, and continued reading the Metaxas biography. I desire to read again The Cost of Discipleship, and compare it to the book Steve Rakin is publishing on growing a mature faith. It has also occurred to me to compare Bonhoeffer and John Wesley on discipleship. I wonder if anyone has published such a comparison?

Today will be a regular day at the office, with staff prayer time, worship planning, administrative tasks, planning and scheduling. I will also read and prepare for the first chapters of The Equipping Church, which we will discuss in tomorrow’s staff meeting. I have a lunch at Millie’s around the topic of the Council of Churches, and their visioning process. I will bring up the topic of Mission Arlington. Tonight I will attend the Springfield Cardinal baseball game with one of our members who loves baseball and whose wife is also out of town.

Romans 12

This is one of my favorite chapters of the New Testament, which I memorized in 1979. Today I read it in light of the life of Bonhoeffer with great application: “present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice…(verse 1) “Be devoted to one another in brotherly love” (verse 10) “Bless those who persecute you; bless and curse not.” (verse 14) “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” (verse 21) Bonhoeffer presented his body as a sacrifice, in life and in his execution, he wrote Life Together about the body of Christ living together in brotherly love, he blessed his persecutors, making friends with many of the prison guards, and he was not overcome by the evil of the Nazis, but overcame evil with good.

Currently we do not live in an era as conflicted as Germany in the 1930s and 40s. As I look out my window I see a peaceful subdivision on the outskirts of an exceptional city (Springfield) in a delightful area (the Ozarks). I also realize the reality of the unseen struggle between good and evil which can become visible on any given day (such as the killings in Norway last week).

Guide me Holy Lord as I present my body a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to You, which is my spiritual service of worship. Guard me from being conformed to this world, but let me be transformed by the renewing of my mind, that I may prove what Your will is, that which is good, and acceptable and perfect. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment