Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July 20, 2011

7-20-11 Wednesday, 6:53 am Springfield, 75 degrees, clear

Romans 7

This chapter addresses the topic of the Law, and its jurisdiction. Paul uses the analogy of marriage to introduce the topic, saying that as long as a woman’s husband is alive, she is bound by law to him, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning her husband. (verse 2) Paul applies this to believers in verse 4: “you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, that we might bear fruit for God.”

My sincere desire is to bear fruit for God. This is the mission statement of Wesley –“to develop more fruitful disciples of Jesus Christ who worship, care, and serve. Last night our small group met at church. Given the summer schedule it was not clear who would attend, and 5 of the 6 men where there, plus one of the women. We had a great session, watching Tim Keller ask non-believers their thoughts about the objection to Christianity which involves the question – who can God be both a God of wrath and also full of love. It had been a month since we had met, and it was great to catch up. We brought wedding pictures to use as the icebreaker, and we have all been married between 20-30 years.

Audrey leaves this morning for her 8 day trip out East. She will visit her brother John and his family in Baltimore, and the Rickerts in Virginia. While she is gone, I will designate my time for a week of sermon planning and writing, similar to my annual week away, except I will daily attend to the office and pastoral duties as needed. I will miss her greatly, as we have spent much meaningful time together in the last few weeks. And, solitude is good for me, I need it from time to time to focus, plan and think. I will not indulge in watching television other than the occasional news during these days.

Guide me most Holy Lord as I journey today, that I might bear fruit for you. In my every thought, action, prayer, visit, plan and discernment let me follow your plan for my life, and live fully this day in your will.

No comments:

Post a Comment