Sunday, July 17, 2011

July 17, 2011

7-17-11 Sunday, 5:08 am Springfield, 77 warm and muggy degrees, clear sky, bright moon.

The next 7 + days will be very hot. I am thankful for air conditioning and other modern conveniences that make life in this sweltering heat much easier. Last Sunday morning I was waking up in a hotel in O’Fallon, and would attend worship at Morning Star. I am so glad to be waking up here in Springfield and preparing to lead worship at Wesley. Today I begin a four-part series on the Christian Family Tree, and I consider the Roman Catholic church as The church for 1000 years. For my devotional reading of scripture I will read the scripture John Wesley used in his sermon “Catholic Spirit”

II Kings 10:15

Jehu has been slaughtering the sons of Ahab and he meets Jehonadab the son of Rechab. He asks him, “Is your heart right, as my heart is with your heart? When Jehonadab answers that it is, Jehu says “give me your hand.” In the midst of conflict and struggle, when hearts are right, strong partnerships are formed.

I just read Wesley’s sermon “Catholic Spirit”. It is #39 in his standard 53 sermons. He makes great points, does not negate the difference of opinion that earnest people have of worship style, church government, and practice of the sacraments. He discourages muddy thinking or universalism (he calls it “speculative latitudinararianism”.) I have and will continue to encourage a catholic spirit among believers. Today I hope to inspire hearers to check their foundations upon the rock of Christ, and on the shoulders of those who have come before us.

Guide me Holy Lord as I teach and preach your Word to the people of this generation. May my words be Your Words, filled with Your Power and transforming lives today.

No comments:

Post a Comment