Friday, July 22, 2011

July 22, 2011

7-22-11 Friday, 7:49 am Springfield, 79 degrees, clear

The tempo of my day changed yesterday afternoon when I learned that one of our members was in the hospital and requesting a visit. I aborted my sermon planning work and went to the hospital and had a meaningful visit with the patient’s family. I was able to visit a second patient and had great interaction. My travels next took me to the Eaglecrest Counseling office to set up some sessions for a person under much duress. Dinner at Cielito Lindo included preparation for the 7:00 meeting of the Ministry Audit task force. After the meeting I went to the gym for healthy exercise in a climate controlled environment. I almost ran outside at noon, just to laugh in the face of the heat, but decided that wisdom should prevail.

Romans 9 – Israel’s past, present and future

The apostle describes his great sorrow and unceasing anguish in his heart for his own people, the Jews. Even as to them belongs the adoption, the glory, the covenants (verse4). Paul concludes in verses 30-33 that Israel strived for righteousness, not on the basis of faith but on the basis of works, and has stumbled over the stumbling stone (Christ). Gentiles have attained righteousness by faith in Christ.

Martin Luther, in his commentary on Romans, describes most of Israel as carnal, children of the flesh and descended from the fathers according to their flesh (corrupt nature). This is a continuation of previous teaching in Romans, and also refers to Abraham’s two sons – one of the flesh (Ishmael) and one of faith (Isaac). The take away for me today is to be careful to live by faith, and not according to the flesh. I have died with Christ to the flesh, and daily I must die to the carnal nature and live by faith, not by sight. Guide me in this journey today, most holy Lord.

On the news this morning is the humanitarian tragedy unfolding in southern Somalia and northern Ethiopia, where perhaps a million people are in danger of starving, due to the drought, and to the armed conflict in Somalia, preventing world relief resources from reaching the desperate people. The neediest place on the planet is also the most dangerous. What is the witness and role of believers in addressing this need? Yesterday as I met with Randy Copeland at his mission training facility I was infected with his passion for taking Christ to the nations through evangelism, compassion and discipleship.

No comments:

Post a Comment