Tuesday, November 1, 2011

November 1, 2011

11-1-11 Tuesday, 5:40 am Springfield, 49 degrees.

Yesterday I successfully completed 11 miles but it wasn’t pretty. I ran the Greenway from National and Sunshine west, through the park near Horton Smith, etc. I averaged 10:15 a mile for the first half, and about 11:50 a mile for the second half. My body feels the aftermath of this effort. Last night was a pleasant evening of receiving Trick or Treaters. Families came by as Audrey and I sat on our driveway with a fire burning in our portable fireplace. The pleasant smell of pine filled the neighborhood. Today I have a typical Tuesday, with a couple of extra meetings in the afternoon. Tonight our life group meets.

Hebrews 3
Jesus, “the apostle and high priest of our confession” is compared and contrasted with Moses. Both were faithful to Him who appointed them. “Moses was faithful in all his house as a servant…but Christ was faithful as a Son over His house whose house we are, if we hold fast our confidence and the boast of our hope firm until the end.” (Verses 5-6) The writer of Hebrews compares and contrasts Jesus with angels in chapters 1-2, and here in chapter 3 with Moses. Writing to a predominately Jewish audience, this author is building a strong case for Christ.

Verses 12-19 provide personal application for the teaching. “Take care, brethren, lest there should be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart, in falling away from the living God. But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called ‘Today,’ lest any one of you be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end.” (Verses 12-14)

Guide me today, Holy Son of God, precious Lord, as I encourage your followers through the pastoral ministry. May I be faithful in all your house as a servant, building up the body with love and sound doctrine. Use my words, my actions, my thoughts, my planning to glorify your holy name, and bring many to your saving grace, rescued from the deceitfulness of sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment