Friday, December 31, 2010

December 31, 2010

12-31-10 Friday, 7:47 am; 39 degrees, sunny.



Yesterday while Audrey and Bethany were shopping at the mall, I went to Borders book store and found a book called The Spiritual Classics which summarizes the works of 25+ writers and leaders. It seems to be a very helpful synopsis, well written and useful as I grow in spiritual formation. Now to finish the last two chapters of Revelation.

Rev 21

John is taken in the Spirit and views New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven as a bride prepared for her husband. God is the temple, God’s glory the light. The gates of the city never shut by day, and there won’t be any night. Nothing dirty or defiled will get into the City, and no one who defiles or deceives. Only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of Life will get in. This chapter should be read by anyone who is contemplating the end of life or its eternal nature. Reading this puts the here and now into perspective.

Rev 22

Continuing the vision, the Angel showed John the river of life, as it flowed from the Throne of God and the Lamb, down the middle of the street. The tree of Life (compare with Gen, garden of Eden) was planted on each side of the River, producing 12 kinds of fruit, a ripe fruit each month. The leaves of the Tree are for the healing of the nations. God’s servants will offer God service – worshiping, they will look on his face, their foreheads mirroring God.

Given the urgency of the times, verse 10 instructs us not to put this prophecy away on the shelf because time is just about up. “Let the evildoers do their worst and the dirty-minded go all out in pollution, but let the righteous maintain a straight course and the holy continue on in holiness.” (Verse 11) Yes! Come, Master Jesus! (verse 20)

I desire to live my life with the expectancy and hope of the reality of this vision of eternity. Even as I enjoy the benefits of living in a well-ordered society, affluent with all that I and my family need, I keep the vision of heaven on my mind, and this spurs me on to even greater devotion to Christ and commitment to the cause of making fruitful disciples who worship, care and serve.

Yesterday I was reading chapter 2 of Steve Rankin’s manuscript “The trajectory of Christian Maturity”, and also the book Real-life Discipleship by Jim Putman. At the bookstore yesterday I also picked up a book about the D-Day invasion, which describes the origin of the Army Rangers. This morning I was musing about a parallel concept of developing spiritual “special forces”, those who go above and beyond the regular work of disciples. Hmmm. In the coming year I will do focused develop of disciple-making in the church. Guide me holy Lord as I invest this last day of 2010 in light of eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment