Tuesday, December 13, 2011

December 13, 2011

There is a cozy feeling this morning in this room (5:35 am) as I hear the raindrops on the skylight and feel the warmth of the gas fire. My trip to Columbia yesterday was interrupted by a squealing fan belt in the LHS. As I pulled off highway 63 south of Jefferson City, the noise stopped and I could smell burning rubber. Lifting the hood, there was no apparent damage, and the engine ran fine. I drove tentatively into Columbia and then home to Springfield with no additional problems. My hunch is that my air conditioning compressor seized up, and then broke loose. It will probably need to be replaced. It is interesting to go from a quiet drive to the uncertainty of a car that might not make it to the destination.

The book we discussed with the Bishop in Columbia was Kendra Creasy Dean’s Almost Christian. She will be a speaker at the upcoming Annual Conference in June. We considered the question “why are there so few people in our churches who are fervent prayers, who know and love the scriptures, and who serve confidently from a sense of being called and equipped? Arriving back in Springfield I went straight to the gym to work out, getting 60 pathetically lame minutes on the elliptical machine. At home I caught a little of the Rams on Monday night football, did some work on church financials, made a phone call to encourage a leader and thoroughly enjoyed a phone conversation with my daughter.

Today I have a full day of meetings, planning, and visits. I will work on sermon planning following morning devotions. The finance committee meets tonight for final consideration of the 2012 budget which it will present to the church council on Thursday night. On Thursday evening I will also present my final recommendation for worship times on Sunday Morning. This has occupied much thought and energy this year as a result of one of the prescriptions and the task force that has met regularly.

Revelation 4

Following the 7 letters to the churches, John looks and sees a door standing open in heaven, and in the spirit he visits heaven. He sees a throne and “One” sitting on the throne. 24 thrones were around this throne with 24 elders, clothed in white garments and with golden crowns on their heads. Seven lamps which are the “seven Spirits of God” were burning before the throne. A sea of glass like crystal was before the throne, and four living creatures around the throne. “They do not cease to say ‘Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God, the Almighty, who was and who is and who is to come.” (Verse 8) The 24 elders fall down before Him who sits on the throne, casting their crowns before Him and saying “Worthy art Thou, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for Thou didst create all things, and because of Thy will they existed, and were created.” (Verse 11)

Many hymns and worship songs have been written around the images and language of this chapter. Reading it this morning my heart stirs within me as I sing “Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God almighty, early in the morning my song shall rise to Thee….” And “Thou art worthy, to receive glory… for thou hast created, all things hast created…” On Saturday I led a memorial service for a saint who is now in heaven, casting her crown around the throne, singing, dancing, and living the reality of heaven in the presence of God.

Today Lord, on earth as it is in heaven I desire to sing your praises, dance for joy, bow before you and live empowered by your Spirit. Guard me from the things of this earth that would pull my attention from you. Thank you for this glimpse, this vision of heavenly realities while I am still on this side of the curtain. Use me today in radiant ways, most holy Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment