Saturday, December 31, 2011

December 31, 2011

Today I have three appointments – two with couples planning their weddings, one with a family concerning tomorrow’s baptism of their baby. I will work on my sermon and at my desk on administrative and leadership tasks. Tonight will be a regular Saturday night for us, as we prepare for Sunday morning and the four services. I imagine that attendance might be light tomorrow, given it is New Years Day, and I expect to have great worship experiences as we bring in the new year with a look at God’s will, and celebrate holy communion.

Yesterday was a good day at the church office. In addition to preparing the bulletin and other worship related items, there was the financial aspect of year end numbers and final contributions being received. It appears that Wesley will end the year in a positive financial position. In the afternoon I ran the outdoor track at the gym, recording a 7:30 mile, which in Galloway’s formula would equate to a hard marathon pace of 9:45 a mile. This is about what I expect, with 10 minute miles my goal. I learned of Dan Rich’s death in an auto accident – Dan was one of the early pioneer members at SunRise.

Revelation 22 – the last chapter in the Bible

It is good to read this chapter for my morning devotions. Throughout the day I will read the last chapter of the Old Testament, and the last Psalm. John begins this chapter with a description of the “river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and the Lamb in the middle of its street. And on either side of the river was the tree of life, bearing twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.” (Verses 1-2)

This entire chapter is victorious, upbeat, and hopeful. Jesus promises to come quickly, and to render to every person according to their deeds. As I read it this morning, I am encouraged and inspired to live this day for Him, and every day fully in light of His reward, His coming, His promises, and His presence.

In this chapter, Jesus says that He is the alpha and omega (Verse 13). He also states that He is “the bright morning star.” (Verse 16) I worship Jesus, and as we just celebrated his nativity, I am daily aware of his Lordship and his reign in heaven and on earth.

Guide me today Lord as I walk through this last day of 2011. May my thoughts, words and actions glorify you in every way, all day, as I look forward to your coming, and to eternity around the throne with the tree of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment