Sunday, December 25, 2011

December 25, 2011

Christmas morning!

We had 5 wonderful worship services yesterday. I especially enjoyed serving communion at each service. There were so many worshippers whom I did not recognize, and whom I pray will find a spiritual home at Wesley and become part of this ministry. Audrey played the piano, Bethany sang with Brian Matson, and the Light of Christ was proclaimed.

This morning we will have two worship services – one at 10:30 in the gym, one at 11:00 in the sanctuary. Jim Massey will preach at both. It is unusual for Christmas day to be on Sunday, happening every 6 years or so. The last time it happened I was not pastoring, but serving on the conference staff and I hardly noticed the scheduling issues it presents. So it is Christmas morning, there is no Sunday School or first two worship services. The Baxters will not open presents until this afternoon. We will worship Christ the King with a faithful congregation this morning, and then enjoy a sabbath rest.

Revelation 16

The seven bowls of the wrath of God are poured out by the seven angels upon the earth. I read this chapter this morning with the question I posed last night – what is real? How do we know? This is an interesting chapter to read on Christmas morning, the day we celebrate the tender baby Jesus being born. And it is a great chapter to read on Christmas morning, to remember that God’s wrath is real, and those who ignore God, who trivialize Him, who rebel against Him, who chose darkness rather than light will be punished, and God will triumph for all time!

Guide me today most Holy Lord as I worship you in Spirit and in Truth, serving among your people called Wesley United Methodist Church in Springfield Missouri.

No comments:

Post a Comment