Monday, December 26, 2011

December 26, 2011

Ahhh, the day after Christmas! Monday is regularly my sabbath, and today it is doubly so, with it being the national holiday also. I will run this morning, work around the house, pack for our trip to O’Fallon, and then host family for a delayed Christmas dinner tonight. Yesterday had an odd feel for many of us, with it being Christmas on a Sunday. We opened presents in the afternoon, and then took naps. I could not sleep, so I fired up the Concours and went on a 30 mile ride into the setting sun, down through Boaz. I began reading O’Reilly’s new book Killing Lincoln. It is a compelling narrative of the last 15 days of Lincoln’s life, including the last days of Lee and Grant battling it out.

Revelation 17

One of the angels from the previous chapter invites John to come and see the judgment of the great harlot that sits upon many waters. This chapter is an explanation of future judgment. The description is not easily understood, and down through the centuries many people have tried to apply various contemporary kings and countries to this vision. I am content to simply understand that there will be tremendous conflict, and I want to always carefully discern how to follow Jesus, and avoid the temptation to follow the powers and movements that lead away from Him.

Last night we watched Valkerie, a movie about the attempt to kill Hitler in 1944 and take over the government. The attempt failed, and there were many executions, including Bonhoeffer in 1945. The army officers involved recognized that Hitler was evil and had become his own country’s worst enemy. This was an epic struggle, in which Hitler dominated for a season, and brought ruin upon his country, Europe, and much of the world. Could such a thing happen again? Absolutely, and this 17th chapter of Revelation reveals global conflicts yet to come.

Guide me Lord as I live during this relatively peaceful era, aware of the struggle of good and evil, those who follow You and those who are seduced by the beast. Give me wisdom, discernment and courage as I live this day in the shelter of your wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment