Friday, December 16, 2011

December 16, 2011

I arose early and made two hospital visits. Now I am at my desk with a cup of coffee, and will consider Sunday’s scripture during these minutes of quiet reflection. Last night we had a very good church council meeting and approved the 2012 budget. It will be a year in which I need to have a systematic emphasis upon stewardship and generosity. Today I will write Sunday’s sermon, meet with one of the staff, and record a radio Christmas spot for Wesley. Tonight Audrey and I will attend a party for the Ozark Flying club, hosted by two of the pilots. I flew the Cherokee yesterday morning and made 4 great landings and lots of maneuvering around the airport as 6 Chinook helicopters where leaving.

I John 1

“This, in essence, is the message we heard from Christ and are passing on to you: God is light, pure light; there’s not a trace of darkness in him.” (Verse 5) This morning after visiting the hospital I witnessed the light of the sun beginning to climb above the eastern horizon. My heart was warmed, my spirit lifted. There is something intangible about light. Darkness can have the opposite effect – coldness, secrets, evil, and death happen in the darkness.

“But if we walk in the light, God himself being the light, we also experience a shared life with one another…” (Verse 7) Living in the light of God leads to the shared life, or fellowship with one another. Love does not happen in a vacuum. The body of Christ provides the tangibility of love as the light of Christ is fleshed out.

Guide me today, most holy Lord as I walk in your light, and live out your love. Guard me from any darkness, any doubt. Lead me powerfully among the children of light during these uncertain days. I pray that your light would emanate from my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment