Thursday, December 15, 2011

December 15, 2011

Today I have blocked off some time to regroup and refresh. Tonight we have our final church council meeting of the year. It has been a good and also hard year in the life of Wesley. As the finance committee has labored over the budget for next year, I am looking forward to how God will move and bring fruit to the ministries of His body in 2012. As a pastor I have been strengthened and sustained to serve in this context. Just as my body is responding to the increased stress of the additional miles I am running in preparation for the marathon, my spirit has responded to the increased stress of the change and turmoil within the body of Christ.

Revelation 6

The Lamb breaks open the seals on the scroll one at a time, and various events unfold. After the first seal a white horse appears with a rider holding a bow and he was given a crown. After the breaking of the second seal a red horse comes out, its rider given the power to bring war on earth. A black horse appears after the third seal is broken, holding a pair of scales. When the fifth seal is broken John sees underneath the altar “the souls of those who had been killed because they had proclaimed God’s word and had been faithful in their witnessing.” (Verse 9) As I read this I picture those who have been martyred, such at Bonhoeffer, Paul, Peter, and including those during my generation who have been killed because of their faith. In this vision of heaven, the writer states “each of them was given a white robe, and they were told to rest a little while longer, until the complete number of other servants and believers were killed, as they had been.” (Verse 11)

At the opening of the six seal there was a violent earthquake, the sun became black and the moon turned completely red as the stars fell to earth. The sky disappeared like a scroll being rolled up and every mountain and island was moved from its place. It is hard to imagine such an event. I have often pictured these events happening as a result of a nuclear war on the earth. As I grew up during the “cold war” there was great concern that the U.S.S.R. and the U.S.A. would engage in such a war. Those days are past, but the tensions around the world between nations that do have nuclear weapons continue to heat up.

Today O Lord, I live with the hope of the resurrection. I have not suffered persecution. I bear the marks of the struggle and stress of the local church and life in community. I look forward to the time in which You will break the seals of the scroll. In my life Lord, be glorified. In my speech, my actions, my thoughts may your love and perfect will be embodied. Lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory forever! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment