Saturday, December 24, 2011

December 24, 2011

There is a quietness during this morning hour as I prepare for a long and fruitful day of pastoral ministry. We will host 5 worship services at Wesley, and I will preach the same message 5 times. I will spend a couple of hours fine tuning this 12 minute “Love’s Pure Light” message this morning. This will be my 25th Christmas Eve to lead worship, and the day always has a feel that is unique – partly it feels like a Sunday, but the morning is so quiet, the worship is different, and the expectations are so varied. Many people will come grieving the loss of loved ones, families with children come with great expectation, devoted followers of Christ come to worship the King whose second coming they anticipate, and seekers come, wondering if the Christmas story is real, if it has any relevance for their lives.

I have not written in this my journal for a couple of days, as I have had morning appointments – hospital visits, dentist visit, etc. Thus my blog has been silent. I have continued to read and meditate upon the daily scripture from the One Year Bible, as it marches through the book of Revelation.

Revelation 15

John sees seven angels with seven plagues, and a sea of glass mixed with fire, and standing on this sea are those who had come off victorious from the beast and from his image. “And they sang the song of Moses, the bond-servant of God and the song of the Lamb saying:
“Great and marvelous are Thy works, O Lord God, the Almighty; Righteous and true are Thy ways, Thou King of the nations. Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify Thy name? For thou alone art holy; For all the Nations will come and worship before Thee, For thy righteous acts have been revealed.” (Verses 3-4)

In these verses I see revealed the language and the pattern of true worship – attributing to God His nature, character, His works and the response of coming to worship before Him. Marva Dawn has written a book entitled How Shall We Worship, which is based on Psalm 96. Reading Revelation 15, remembering these words recorded by John described as “The Song of Moses and the Song of the Lamb” my heart is drawn to worship the king on this morning of celebrating the birth of Jesus almost 2000 years ago.

Guide me today most holy Lord as I worship you during this brief earthly journey, and as I lead multiple services of praise and worship in the sanctuary at Wesley, and in the gym. I worship You this morning here in my house, and each place I go today I am singing your praises, especially praising You for “love’s pure light.”

No comments:

Post a Comment