Saturday, December 3, 2011

December 3, 2011

Last night Audrey and I enjoyed the bi-district clergy Christmas party hosted by Kingsway. The program was improvisational comedy by two local comedians who really entertained us. I had good conversations with pastors and their spouses around the room. Many pastors are experiencing pain from difficult situations in their churches. One asked if I would consider conducting a visioning session in January.

Yesterday I worked well on my sermon, withdrawing to the Hebrews Coffee shop with my laptop, had good meetings with staff and staff-parish members, and worked on correspondence and tasks. Today I will attend the Men’s group breakfast, stop by the college student room where care packages are being prepared, and attend the annual UMW Christmas brunch with the installation of officers. I have the afternoon to exercise, work on sermon and perhaps make a home visit.

I John 3:7-24

“God wants us to have faith in his son Jesus Christ and to love each other. This is also what Jesus taught us to do.” (Verse 23) As I sit here this morning with the gas fire warming up the room, this verse impacts me as a simple and direct word – believe in Jesus and love each other. Today as I go about the work of pastoring, I will cultivate faith in Christ, and share with all I meet the love God has given me for the people of Wesley and for all people, including those who do not yet recognize the need for a shepherd.

Guide my steps, my words, my countenance most holy Lord. I am your servant, privileged to live in this era, serving you in this church.

No comments:

Post a Comment