Monday, December 5, 2011

December 5, 2011

Olive oil, motor oil, cod liver oil – illustrations I used for peace with God, peace with self, and peace with others yesterday. These seemed to work well on this communion Sunday on which we brought white Christmas gifts for people in Honduras, Harmony House, Rare Breed and toys for Crosslines. Today I plan a long run in the cold morning, using Galloway’s method. It will take most of 3 ½ hours and should allow me to have more energy and initiative for the rest of the day. We host the staff Christmas party on Wednesday, and will be spending all available time between now and then getting ready.

I John 5

“If we believe that Jesus is truly Christ, we are God’s children. Everyone who loves the Father will also love his children. If we love and obey God, we know that we will love his children. We show our love for God by obeying his commandments, and they are not hard to follow. Every child of God can defeat the world, and our faith is what gives us this victory.” (I John 5:1-4) As I read these sentences penned by the Apostle John in his later years, there is a simplicity about these instructions –believe in Jesus, obey his commandments, love his children. It is good for me to receive this from the apostle that Jesus’ loved. I am a pastor of a large and complex church with many activities. Believe, love and obey were the three words in John Wesley’s seal, and I wonder if he derived them from this chapter.

Guide me today most holy Lord as I believe You are the Christ, as I obey your commands and as I love your children on this 5th day of December.

No comments:

Post a Comment