Friday, December 9, 2011

December 9, 2011

“Yet even now, declares the Lord, return to Me with all your heart, and with fasting, weeping and mourning; and rend your heart and not your garments. Now return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger, abounding in lovingkindness, and relenting of evil.” (Joel 2:12-13) The prophet has been given a message for the people of God living in Judah around 835 B.C. He uses the historical plague of locusts experienced in his day followed by a severe draught to call the leaders to proclaim a solemn assembly for national sorrow, repentance, and deliverance. In chapter two he becomes the prophet of pentecost, seeing a day when God will pour out his spirit on all flesh.(Joel 2:28)

As I read these first two chapters I am reminded that God is God. That God loves His people, desires all people to experience his love. I remember that God gives messages to his servants, and his call always is for people to come to him with broken hearts and humility. He is slow to anger and abounds in lovingkindness. My privilege is to proclaim this among his people in my generation, and to extend his gracious invitation to those around who are spiritually asleep.

Simply following the One Year Bible reading plan has brought me to read the great prophet Joel this morning. My spirit is refreshed with this message of God’s judgment, God’s invitation, and God’s promise that “I will pour out My Spirit on all humankind.” Like those who have lived and died before me, today I will walk in the power and the presence of Christ in me, the hope of glory. May it be so, most holy Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment