Thursday, December 8, 2011

December 8, 2011

The month marches on! It was good to share a Christmas lunch with the Wesley staff yesterday. I met with several people throughout the day, and in the evening met to plan Norma Stroebe’s funeral. I will prepare the bulletin and order of worship today. I am looking forward to breakfast with a retired pastor, another interview for a potential new staff, a meeting with Rainbow network and a couple of coaching calls this afternoon. Tonight the Staff Parish Relations committee meets to consider staffing and salaries for 2012.

Jude

This epistle was written either by Jesus’ half brother or possibly a cousin of Jesus, depending on who the James is that he refers to as his brother. His main theme is to counter the false teaching that threatens the church. He says “these are the ones who cause divisions, worldly-minded, devoid of the Spirit.” (Verse19) It seems that Jude and Peter were very concerned with the rapid infiltration of false teachers into the fledgling church.

Beginning in verse 20, Jude turns his attention away from false teachers and encourages the church: “But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith; praying in the Holy Spirit; keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life.” (Verses 20-21) I hear these words coming directly to Bruce Baxter this morning – to be building myself up on a most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keeping myself in the love of God while waiting anxiously for the mercy of Jesus to eternal life.

In verses 22-23 Jude describes three different approaches to different types of people – mercy on those who are doubting, on others snatch them from the fire, and for still others have mercy with fear, hating even the garment polluted by the flesh. This reminds me that the gospel must be applied individually, and there is no “one size fits all” in ministry.

The words of verses 24-25 have been used in the church as benediction language, and this morning I take them to heart: “Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy, to the only God our Savior ...

Guide my steps today, most Holy Lord, keep me from stumbling, and let me stand in the presence of your glory blameless with great joy. As I live fully this 8th day of December, I follow your leading and serve you with obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment