Wednesday, December 21, 2011

December 21, 2011

It feels good to be up early on this Wednesday. My 18 mile run went well on Monday, completed in 3 hours 26 minutes, which was the time of my first marathon in 1981. With 6 ½ weeks to go until the Feb 5 marathon in California, I am feeling on track to complete it comfortably using the Galloway method of run-walk-run. Bethany flies in today to the new Branson airport on Frontier airline. It appears that the snow has cleared up that blanketed Colorado and Kansas yesterday. It will be so good to see her again and spend some time together over the next 2 weeks.

Revelation 12 - The Woman and the Dragon

This is a colorful and challenging chapter of scripture. I have read J. Ramsey Michaels’ commentary on Revelation for perspective. Remarkably, this chapter of Revelation is a description of the nativity – the birth of Jesus. Verse 5 “And she gave birth to a son, a male child, who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron; and her child was caught up to God and to His throne.” Verse 9 describes the “great dragon … the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world…” This one “stood before the woman who was about to give birth, so that when she gave birth he might devour her child.” (Verse 4)

Reading the graphic images of this chapter four days before Christmas is powerful. I realize the eternal impact of the birth of Christ the conflict this caused in heaven and on earth. The conflict continues – evil is so very present on earth. “And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and went off to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus.” (Verse 17) I see this conflict playing out in world events and in communities around the Ozarks. I see it within the church, and within individuals.

The good news is that “Now the salvation, and the power, and the kingdom of our God and the authority of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren has been thrown down, who accuses them before our God day and night.” (Verse 10)

Guide me today Lord as I live in the times between time. Today in the northern hemisphere is the winter solstice, the day the darkness peaks. Lead me in your light. Allow me to live as one who overcomes the darkness, evil, injustice just as you have overcome the world. Guard me from all the accusations of the evil one. Today I will hold to the testimony of Jesus, in the fullness of that witness.

No comments:

Post a Comment