Friday, December 30, 2011

December 30, 2011

Bethany is on a train to Chicago, Audrey and I had a good drive back from St. Louis, and I am preparing to go to the church office to work on sermon and bulletin for the weekend services and the new year. Watching the news on the Today Show I realize that my upcoming series entitled “Why?” will have daily applications. This morning there is a follow up story on the 5 people who died on Christmas day in a fire in Stamford, Connecticut. Such a tragedy. I am sure everyone involved is asking “why?” On a lighter note, they are teasing Matt Lauer about turning 54 today.

Revelation 21

In this next-to-last chapter of the Bible, John records his vision of a new heaven and new earth. As I read these 27 verses I am comforted, inspired, informed and challenged to live every day with the end in mind. The followers of Christ ultimately are on the winning side, with the final tremendous victory and eternally dwelling with God in the new Jerusalem.

“Look, God’s home is now among his people! He will live with them, and they will be his people. God himself will be with them. He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.” (Verses 3-4) Between now and then, I will live in the midst of death, sorrow, crying and pain. As a pastor I will be present with people in their suffering, and try to make sense of what we all experience. I will live with the question “Why?” for the next 5 Sundays.

Guide me Lord on this Friday as 2011 comes to a close. I look forward with all believers to the new heaven and new earth. Lead me in your righteousness. Make my way plain before your face. Guard me from the darkness of sin and self. Shine “loves pure light” in and through me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment