Monday, March 8, 2010

2-8-10 Monday, 8:29 am Grayrock, 48 degrees, sunny.

My Outlook flashes a reminder that this is my “Sabbath”. I am not good at keeping “Sabbath”. Eugene Peterson reminds me of its importance, and reading the Pentateuch reminds me that it is God’s design – work six, rest one. But as a person who labors “in the temple”, and works hard to design and conduct worship, it still feels odd to take a Sabbath on a weekday, a workday for most. I will read today, share lunch and dinner with friends, exercise, organize and plant some seeds. Guide me on this day of rest, holy One.

Numbers 10-11

Moses continues to lead the people. God tells them the order to break camp and march. The people begin to complain about having no meat. God tells Moses he will provide meat for a month, until they are sick of it, for they have rejected Him. In what ways is the church in danger of rejecting God? What do the people of my generation “whine” about? How can I discern God’s leading, and faithfully bear the burden of “these people” as Moses bore the burden of His people?

Mark 14, Psalm 51

Jesus prepares to celebrate the Passover, and David prays for a new heart, and the return of joy. Thank you Lord for scripture, for this “One Year Bible”, and your Spirit which speaks daily to my spirit.

I have a dilemma – I have set out a house for bluebirds, and a pair of sparrows is building a nest. Last year I attracted a pair of bluebirds early, then two batches of sparrows. I am inclined to remove the sparrows and their nest if they have not laid eggs and wait for the state birds of Missouri to build a nest. However, God sees even the sparrows, and I already feel bad about destroying their hard work of nesting. Hmmm, what should I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment