Thursday, March 11, 2010

March 11, 2010

3-11-10 Thursday, 7:27 am Grayrock, 44 degrees, cloudy

Having had breakfast meetings the last two days, and one tomorrow, I am starting this morning a little more slowly. Running and lifting at noon yesterday has left me stiff and remembering that this body is aging. My weekend theme of “Finishing Well” fills my mind and heart as daily I desire to be all that God is developing me to be, maximizing fruitfulness, walking humbly with my Lord.

Numbers 15:39 God tells Moses to have the people make tassels for the hems of their clothing and attach them with a blue cord. “when you see the tassels, you will remember and obey all the commands of the Lord instead of following your own desires and defiling yourselves, as you are prone to do.”

I am prone to “follow my own desires”, and I need daily reminders to obey “all the commands of the Lord”. Guide me holy Lord in every ounce of energy, may it be expended according to your will. Jesus would criticize the religious leaders of his day for their tassels, as they had become so concerned with the external appearances and prestige. It is good for me to remember the origin of these tassels, their holy purposes, and how over the generations they lost meaning and became a source of unhealthy pride. What are the “tassels” of the church today – items with holy origins but now are unhealthy source of external, showy religion? This could be the subject of a good essay.

We are nearing the end of the One Month to Live emphasis. I am finding it very healthy and a guide to holy, purposeful living. We are considering how this theme be continued, and what material we should use as the basis of Spring 2011 emphasis. We are also working on developing leaders through the church. In January we had over 90 leaders attend the Igniting event in the choir loft. I will continue to follow up those leaders, perhaps with an email today, as I have them all in a Outlook group, thanks to the great work of one of our office volunteers.

Guide me today holy Lord as I seek to follow you, lead other through servant ministry, and expand your kingdom in my generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment