Wednesday, March 31, 2010

March 31, 2010

3-31-10 Wednesday, 5:33 am Grayrock, 58 degrees, windy.

This is one of those rare mornings in which I arise at 4:30 feeling pretty rested and ready for the day. I will work on my Easter message today, along with a meeting to discuss ordination – deacon, elder, local pastor with an individual.

Deut 16 – 17:20

Verses 18-19 Prescription is to appoint judges and officers in all your towns… you shall not distort justice; you shall not be partial, and you shall not take a bribe…
These prescriptions have been implemented in the United States with its Judeo-Christian background. As emerging nations attempt to move forward, corruption seems to be a major obstacle – in Mexico, in Iraq,Afghanistan, and around the world. An interesting study would be to evaluate the level of corruption in any given government, and explore it causes, especially as it relates to Judeo-Christian commitments.

17:18-20 Instructions for the future Israeli King to copy for himself of this law on a scroll “and it shall be with him, and he shall read it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the Lord his God, by carefully observing all the words of this law and these statutes.” This is great advice for every follower of God – to have a personal copy of God’s word, and to read it every day, learning to fear the Lord. I wonder the impact of hand-copying the law, if this creates a greater ownership and personal investment in the Word.

Guide me today Lord as I study your word, apply it to my life, and prepare to present it to the Easter congregation. Thank you for this last day of March, and the progress of time toward eternity. Direct my steps as I seek to live a “no regrets” life today, and each day.

My reading this morning beyond scripture will be from “The Celtic Way of Evangelism” by George Hunter. In chapter one he describes Patrick’s 28-year mission to Ireland. In chapter 2 he points out the “middle level issues of life” which are often ignored by traditional Christianity. Clearly he values Patrick’s outward focus, his understanding of Irish culture, and his emphasis upon community and leadership development. I am looking forward to integrating his insights into my work and ministry as pastor of Wesley in Springfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment