Tuesday, March 23, 2010

March 23, 2010

3-23-10 Tuesday, 6:08 am Grayrock, 32 degrees, clear.

Numbers 36 – Deut. 1:46
Moses recounts the 40 year history of the wilderness, especially the people’s stubbornness and failure to trust God for the conquest of the promised land. God told Moses that his assistant Joshua would lead the people in (did Moses have 40 years to prepare Joshua?) and that Moses would die in the wilderness. As I put myself in the camp of the Israelites, I wonder how I would feel, and what I would think of the unfolding plan of God, the leadership challenges, the living conditions, the hopes and fears for the future. I do live in the “camp” of God’s people, as God’s plan unfolds in this generation. Guide me as I daily live by faith, lead by example, and seek your face, most Holy Lord.

Luke 5:29-6:11

5:37 New wine in new wineskins. Howard Snyder used this imagery for a book he wrote in the 70s. I should get a copy and see what his thesis was. He now teaches at Asbury seminary. The book was addressed to the church, and used at West County A. G. by John Wilson. What are the “new wineskins” of this generation?

Earlier in this chapter Jesus is hosted by Matthew, the tax collector along with his tax-collecting friends. The religious leaders scoff at Jesus eating with “those people”. It is so easy for religious people to scoff at the genuine efforts to reach the least and the lost.

As I was running yesterday I considered using the term “Wesley Simple Groups”, and designing a simple format of worship, care, serve. Perhaps “simple groups” could be more precisely defined than “small groups”. Hmmm, it’s a thought to ponder.

Luke 6:1-11 Jesus and the Sabbath – His disciples pick some grain, and a man with a “deformed right hand” was made whole on the Sabbath. His religious critics were “wild with rage and and began to discuss what to do with him.” It is so easy for “religious people” to get so bent out of shape and lose the centrality of the Kingdom of God. May I always be open to the New Wineskins and aware of what God is currently doing to build the kingdom. Religious people seem to lack joy and gratitude. Guard me from the way of religious leaders who miss the awe and wonder of your Kingdom, Holy Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment