Monday, March 15, 2010

March 15, 2010

3-15-10 Monday, 7:18 am Grayrock 44 degrees.

The sun has not yet come up. This first Monday after the time change feels like it has not yet recovered. I know that I have not recovered, and am feeling the effects of a strenuous Sunday. I am drinking a cup of strong Honduran coffee and enjoying a slower start on this my “Sabbath”.

Nu 22:21-23:30 Balaam, a prophet, hired by Balak to curse the Israelites has God speak to him in dreams and in visions. Balaam disobeys God, who sends His angel to block Balaam’s way. His donkey shies away from the angel three times, and is beaten. Then God gives the donkey a voice and also opens Balaam’s eyes to the presence of the angel. Balaam is instructed to continue on the journey, but to only say what God tells him, and he proceeds to bless Israel.

This is a most curious incident, and has several implications. It reminds me that God has spoken to people. God is an advocate for his people. God protects his people. God uses unusual means at times to accomplish his purposes. This account is unique, and reading it today alerts me to God’s daily, creative presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment