Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December 1, 2010

12-1-10 Wednesday, 6:10 am Springfield, 23 degrees.

The beginning of the 12th month, a fresh page on the calendar. My dad was born on this date in 1917, and this is the third year since his passing. This morning I will pray at 7:00 at the church with a prayer partner for the people who are not yet part of a faith community. At 9:00 I will pray with the staff and the church prayer team, and at 10 I will meet with the nifty nine. I have a lunch meeting, and then dinner with the Alpha leaders and recent graduates as we look to the future. Yesterday I had a good annual review with my district superintendent as we discussed this past year, and the report of the staff-parish committee.

Daniel 8
The prophet describes another vision, this one of a strong ram, defeated by a one-horned goat. “The army of heaven was restrained from responding to this rebellion”. Gabriel is dispatched to tell Daniel the meaning of his vision. (I am teaching about Gabriel again this Sunday, as he is the angel who in addition to speaking to Zechariah, appeared to Mary announcing her selection to be the mother of the Christ.)

It is easy for me to neglect the book of Daniel, and reading it this week seems so fresh and current. Perhaps I should design one of my January sermons around this godly man and his visions of the end times.

Guide me holy Lord today, as I walk with you, serve your church, shepherd your people, and seek those asleep and apart from the flock. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment