Monday, December 20, 2010

December 20, 2010

12-20-10 Monday, 8:19 am Springfield, 25 degrees, cloudy.

I am looking forward to this day. After a busy weekend I have this unscheduled time to practice sabbath. Regularly the days of the week roll by, and I am pleased with my investment of energy and time, with the ebb and flow of focused effort, and intentional rest. It is hard for me to stop working once a week, and with many things pending for tomorrow, including a funeral and a staff Christmas party, there is some work I must do (like a farmer with his livestock fallen into a pit).

Last night I took some groceries to the home of Skip and Tawnya, a couple I have been working with for about 18 months. He called me when he came out of prison and was homeless. He has committed his life to Christ, and is trying to make good decisions. They are living totally on the edge of survival, and when I can I help them with some food. They were living 40 miles out of Springfield in Everton, which made it hard to help. This month they moved back to town, and live around the corner from Broadway UMC, where he has attended the last couple of Sundays.

Psalm 139

“O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I am far away.” This is a beautiful prayer in a very special Psalm. It reflects how precious each human is to God, and thus the value we humans have in God’s sight.

Today, as every day, I commit my thoughts, actions, goings and comings to your will and purposes. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment