Friday, December 17, 2010

December 17, 2010

12-17-10 Friday, 6:52 am Springfield, 25 degrees, cloudy.

Yesterday morning I woke up in Eureka, near St. Louis. I had made an onsite visit with a pastor and his staff parish committee, as I represented our conference’s Board of Ordained Ministry. Planning to return home by 11, I found myself in the middle of a very light freezing rain, that turned Hwy 44 into a parking lot. Fortunately, I was able to find a hotel and got a short night’s rest, and then was at Wesley by 9:45 am. I led a peer mentor group for several pastors, month 14, and we discussed how to have crucial confrontations when needed. Jerry and I met and made final preparations for the evening’s church council meeting, setting our 2011 budget,which went very well. I also finally got a flu shot yesterday.

Today I my work will focus on my sermon for Sunday, and I will also get a start on my sermon for Christmas Eve. I am looking forward to both of these opportunities to share the good news of Jesus Christ. Pastor Mi Hyeon and I have an interview with a person applying for one of our open positions. This evening Bethany flies home from college in Los Angeles, and we are eagerly looking forward to her visit. David and Danelle will be able to spend a couple of days with us next week. I love this time of year!

Nahum 1:1 – 3:19
The destruction of Ninevah (capital of the cruel and defiant Assyrians) predicted. Nahum’s message came about 150 years after Jonah and his reluctant ministry in Nineveh. Verse 15 is similar to Isaiah 52:7 and probably the basis for Romans 10:15. Nahum 15: “Look! A messenger is coming over the mountains with good news! He is bringing a message of peace. … Your wicked enemies will never invade your land again. They will be completely destroyed.”

The angels announced good news to the shepherds, a message of peace on earth, good will to all people. The enemy of death will be completely destroyed. This is the subject of my sermon for Sunday, part 4 of my angel series.

Revelation 8:1-13
The Lamb broke the seventh seal and there was silence throughout heaven for about half an hour. John saw the seven angels who stand before God, and they were given the seven trumpets. Another angel with a gold incense burner came and stood at the altar. “And a great amount of incense was given to him to mix with the prayers of God’s holy people as an offering on the gold altar before the throne.” (verse 3)
It was at the altar of incense in the temple that Zechariah saw the angel Gabriel, who announced to him the birth of his son, who would be John the Baptist. I wonder if there is a connection with this angel at the altar in heaven?

Today we have established a day of prayer (and fasting) at Wesley. God’s holy people will spend time in the sanctuary praying for the upcoming Christmas eve services, and the Spring series “Life Hurts, God Heals”. Guide me today Lord as I pray, and work, writing, planning, developing ideas and ministering to your people in this age.

No comments:

Post a Comment