Sunday, December 5, 2010

December 5, 2010

12-5-10 Sunday, 4:59 am Springfield, 23 degrees, wind 10 mph, feels like 13 degrees.

Thank you Lord for awakening me at 4:30 and giving me the rest and energy to get up and prepare for the privilege of leading worship, holy communion, and delivering the message from your word about angels.

Yesterday was a good day, with early work at church, a hospital visit to a child, exercise, rest, reading, and then shopping with dinner with Audrey. Last night I was pleased that my outdoor Christmas lights came on automatically with the timer, as from year to year I have to relearn how to program it. Today will be an important Sunday in the life of the Wesley UMC faith community. We will celebrate the Lord’s supper, bring our white Christmas gifts forward, and we expect many guests. I feel the weight of responsibility, and the grace of God’s wonderful provision for the work that lies ahead.

Luke 1:26-38 The angel Gabriel visits Mary

The angel said “greetings, favored one.” This descriptive phrase is rich in meaning. In verse 30 the angel says “do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.” And in Mary’s song, in verse 48 she says “my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant.”
This greeting to Mary, as one “full of grace” has contributed to the Catholic doctrine of the Immaculate Conception, that Mary was free from the stain of sin from her conception. This has always been a mystery to me, and as I read about this doctrine this morning, I realize that it does not include the belief that Mary was born of a virgin, but that in her conception, she was not tainted by original sin, as are all other humans.

Today I have much to say and as always, a limited time to say it. I will now work on refining my notes so that I might be the most fruitful with my message today. Thank you Lord for this morning, and in the language of Mary “here I am, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.” Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment