Friday, December 24, 2010

December 24, 2010

12-24-10 Friday, 7:20 am Christmas Eve! 31 degrees, very light rain.

Today we expect 1700+ worshipers in the 5 services, beginning at 3:00. The pastors and worship team are prepared, and I am looking forward to each aspect of this peak day of ministry and outreach to those asleep in their faith, and those who are nominally churched, as well as the committed – fully devoted followers of Christ. I will work on my sermon here at home for a couple of hours this morning. I am feeling more prepared than usual for family gift giving tomorrow, as my presents are wrapped, and I have inserted surprises into stockings.

Psalm 143:1-12

I picture this could be the prayer of many who will come tonight – “losing all hope” (verse 4); “thirst for you as parched land thirsts for rain” (verse 6); “my depression deepens” (verse7); “let me hear of your unfailing love each morning” (verse 8); “rescue me from my enemies” (verse 9); “may your gracious Spirit lead me forward” (verse 10) “bring me out of this distress” (verse 11); “in your unfailing love, silence all my enemies” (verse 12).

It is good for me to read this Psalm as giving voice to the cries of the hearts of those who will come tonight seeking something, and needing the unfailing love of God to fill and raise up and give hope for this life and the life to come. Guide me as I bring a message of hope and light for all the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment