Saturday, December 18, 2010

December 18, 2010

12-18-10 Saturday, 7:30 am Springfield, 19 degrees.

Bethany made it home from Los Angeles last evening. It was so good to see her and have her in our home for 10 days. She had a good 7th semester at Azusa Pacific University, and it is hard to believe she is half way through her senior year. We will have a great holiday visit with her and then she will be off to finish college. Today I will work on tomorrow’s sermon, develop the flow of January 16 worship, meet with an engaged couple, and exercise ( I have not logged 7000 paces, the minimum target, all week).

Habakkuk 1-3

This prophet has a vision and conversation with God. His main point is to ask why people more sinful than Judah would be used to punish them. God decries people who trust in their own strength (1:11). The last few verses of Habakkuk have inspired me throughout my walk with God. They are a commitment to be a disciple, essentially for better or worse, richer or poorer, etc. “Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds’ feet …” (3:17-19 KJV)

Lord, even in this day of plenty and of peace in our land, I realize that many people are hungry and subject to violence, injustice, fear and disease. May I never trust in my own strength, but totally lean upon your power and your holiness. I am yours today.

No comments:

Post a Comment