Monday, December 27, 2010

December 27, 2010

12-27-10 Monday, 6:55 am Springfield, 15 degrees, clear and cold!

Yesterday was a very good Sunday. Bruce Boehmer did an excellent job preaching, and over 700 people attended Wesley the day after Christmas. I made four significant pastoral visits, one in my office following the last worship service, one at a family’s home, and two at the hospital. I was privileged to be used by God in these lives discussing deep matters of life’s hurts, addictions, frailties, and eternity.

Rev 18:1-24

This chapter contains the vision John had concerning the destruction of Babylon, the great city with which the kings of the world committed adultery. The merchants of the world grew rich selling her all the materials she consumed in her luxurious lifestyle, and it was destroyed suddenly, leaving the world’s sellers without a buyer, and the kings of the world dismayed. As I read this chapter, several thoughts run through my mind – 1. The consumerism of our economy, especially now that the access to the world’s markets and suppliers is so direct. 2. Individual extravagance, compared to a simple life of basic needs. 3. Wondering what city or nation will become the Babylon of this chapter.

A few nights ago Audrey and I watched a 30 minute television show about a monastery in Europe whose CD of Gregorian Chant has hit the top 10 charts. This show was a good look at the monastic life. I have been influenced by Benedictine spirituality since my days in seminary when I was introduced to Thomas Merton and his monastery near Louisville. Dennis Okholm has written Monk Habits for Everyday People which makes application of the practices of monasticism for protestants. This is one intentional way to avoid the excesses of Babylon.

Guide me today Lord as I prepare for this next week. I am mindful of the consumer luxury infused in this culture, and I desire to live faithfully for you in every way, every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment