Sunday, December 19, 2010

December 19, 2010

12-19-10 Sunday, 5:55 am Springfield, 31 degrees, partly cloudy.

This morning I will lead in worship as we wrap up the 4 week study on angels. The angels and the shepherds are a delightful incident in scripture, recorded in Luke for all generations. It is such a privilege for me to shepherd the flock called Wesley. I am thankful for this calling and for this congregation.

One of our members died last night, Louise James. She was 87 and a retired music teacher. She had been a big part of the Wesley choir and music program, and I hope that many of our choir will be able to sing at her funeral, probably on Tuesday at Wesley.

Last night as I was in my study, working on my sermon, I entered a familiar zone of prayer and deep meditation. I often emerge from this time with freshness and good ideas for the message I am preparing. The thought occurred to me that there might be a special unseen presence of angels in that room, as I develop the message that God is pressing upon me. Guide me today as your messenger, shepherd, watchman, guide and guardian. May my spirit, my physical presence, my whole being serve your holy purposes today, and every day until my home going or your return.

No comments:

Post a Comment