Wednesday, December 15, 2010

December 15, 2010

12-15-10 Wednesday, 6:19 am Springfield, 25 degrees.

Last night the first “Kids of Creation” Christmas program was a delightful success! Audrey played the piano accompaniment as the kids sang songs and heard the real story of Christmas, written by Bria Cole. I made opening comments to a sanctuary 2/3 full of parents, grandparents, friends and family. Audrey and I went out afterwards for a tasty dinner at Celeito Lindo. Today I have the morning in the office, lunch with the pastors as we evaluate our work for the past year and look to the coming year, and then I drive to St. Louis to participate in an onsite visit of a pastor who is applying for full ordination next year. I will meet David for coffee on my way into town.

Revelation 6:1-17
The Lamb breaks the first six seals on the scroll one at a time, each accompanied by an appearance of a horse and rider, battles, slaughter, war, martyrs, earthquake, blackened sun and reddened moon. Reading these verses again (having been reading them with interest since 1974) I am reminded that the earth and its people are headed for a cataclysmic end times. The recipients of this vision, living in about 90AD, persecuted by the Roman government with believers being murdered and publicly executed, were encouraged by this vision and assured that their faith was not in vain.

As I grew up during the cloud of fear called the cold war, when the U.S. and Soviet Union threatened to nuke each other, the possibility of a fiery end to life as we know it was on our minds often. Now that the U.S.S.R. is no longer a super power, the proliferation of nuclear weapons continues to be an issue, with rogue states like Iran and North Korea developing the technology to deliver this type of destruction.

I have no control or influence over these international issues. I do have the daily opportunity to worship the Lamb who sits on the throne, and serve God with my life in this generation. “Oh, praise the Lord, all you servants of the Lord, you who serve at night in the house of the Lord. Lift up holy hands in prayer, and praise the Lord. May the Lord, who made heaven and earth, bless you from Jerusalem.” (Psalm 134:1-3).

I am your servant, use me on this day to embody your will and purposes. Mindful of the end times, lead me in the present times to encourage, equip, empower, inspire, heal and forgive. Surround me with your light, guard me from this present darkness. Come Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment