Monday, December 6, 2010

December 6, 2010

12-6-10 Monday, 7:29 am Springfield, 14 degrees, clear

It is a beautiful, cold, wintery morning. I have the plane reserved for the day and am planning to take a short trip this morning, mainly to get in some training and to enjoy the environment of aviation on this day of sabbath rest from my pastoral labor. Yesterday was a good and full day of ministry, and this week will be packed with celebrations and preparations.

2 John 1
This letter is either addressed to a particular woman, or to a church. It encourages correct doctrine concerning the person of Jesus Christ. In my generation I have seen much false doctrine taught in the mainline churches (which are losing members) and I am aware of the struggles yet today over doctrine. I am reading a history of Asbury Seminary by Kenneth Kinghorn, and am especially interested in the early years, the 1920s and 30s as it was just getting started. The evangelist Morrison, who was president of Asbury College had a vision for an academically sound, world class seminary that was true to scripture and would nurture the faith and spiritual life of its students. Now in its 87th year, the seminary seems to be fulfilling this vision well.

Psalm 125

“Those who trust in the Lord are as secure as Mount Zion; they will not be defeated but will endure forever.” Yes, Lord, I trust in you, my hope is in you, my life will endure in you forever. Even as I take to the air in a frail, small plane, I know that my security is in eternity, not in this life. Guide me today Lord as I fly and recharge the batteries for spiritual leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment