Wednesday, November 30, 2011

November 30, 2011

It is good to be up early, to have the gas fireplace on and a fresh cup of coffee. I will open the Word as I prepare for this day which the Lord has given me. I have several meetings, including a breakfast, Christmas eve planning, potential staff interview, directors staff and program budget planning, and a site visit to a pastor’s church who is up for ordination this spring.

1 John 1

“The Word that gives life was from the beginning, and this is the one our message is about. Our ears have heard, our own eyes have seen, and our hands touched this Word.” (Verse 1) The apostle John is writing about his first-hand experience with Jesus, the Word made flesh. Last night at our life group we read the first verses of the Gospel of John in which the apostle describes how God sent the Word from the beginning. This word truly is life-giving and full of light and love.

“But if we live in the light, as God does, we share in life with each other. And the blood of his Son Jesus washes all our sins away.” (Verse 7) Living in the light is the habitation of the believer. Darkness is the residence of evil and all who desire to hide their sins. It is curious to me how in the church there exists angst and conflict in a community of light. This happens down through history and across cultures. Thomas Merton experienced it in his monastery, I witnessed it in seminary, I see it in churches across Missouri, including Wesley. The key seems to be to continue to live in the light and to shine the light into every dark corner.

Guide me today most holy Lord as I live in the light of your love and carry that light into every meeting, every relationship that I share today and each day during this holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment