Sunday, January 1, 2012

January 1, 2012

The first day of the new year! I always enjoy making a first journal entry on January 1 and beginning to anticipate what the blank pages will contain. As Audrey and I reflected on the past year, we were thankful for God’s blessings and the many ways we experienced joy and fulfillment. Today I preach about God’s will as we begin a series asking “Why” concerning unanswered prayers, the suffering of innocent people, etc. Bethany is in Chicago, and returns by train tomorrow. I will drive to St. Louis this afternoon, delivering some furniture to David and Danelle, and then do a long run on the Katy Trail tomorrow morning.

Ecclesiastes 1

“Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher, “Vanity of vanities! All is vanity.” (Verse 2) This statement is made by King Solomon, describing himself as “the preacher” writing in his later years. He has achieved very much – expanding the kingdom of his father David, building the great temple in Jerusalem, developing all kinds of projects and relationships. He starts this book with what seems to be a cynical statement. I believe he is stating that possessions, accomplishments, relationships in and of themselves are vain and worthless apart from a genuine and authentic relationship with God.

In the last two verses of this book (12:13-14) he states “The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep his commandments, because this applies to every person. For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil.” From the opening verses to the closing verses, this book is a great study as I start this new year. Apart from God, all of life is vain. Respecting and honoring God, keeping his commands, walking in his will is the best way to live every day. For me, as a preacher, pastor, leader, shepherd, there is so much opportunity.

Guide me today, this year, the rest of my life most Holy Lord as I live each day in the shadow of your wings. Speak through me your wonderful truths. Allow your love and care to flow from your heart, through mine to others. Guard me from anything that is not authentic; give me courage to risk and to act in faith. Thank you for this day, and for this new year which stretches out before my feet like an open road.

No comments:

Post a Comment