Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March 1, 2011

3-1-11 Tuesday, 5:59 am , 26 degrees, clear

The first day of March! I always enjoy writing the new month for the first time, usually here in my journal. Typically this is the month known for strong winds and moderating temperatures, with always the possibility of snow. Gardening and yard work will increase, and the seeds I started on Saturday (tomatoes, zucchini, okra and marigolds) will sprout in the basement. April 15 is the average last frost for this area and I will plant them outside in my small garden.

We had good interviews yesterday with the board of ordained ministry. Our team has eight more interviews today, and 8 tomorrow. This is a somewhat grueling schedule, but necessary because of the cancellations forced by the blizzard 4 weeks ago. I remember well my board interviews in 1982 and 1985 as a seminary student and young pastor.

Isaiah 39

After his miraculous healing, Hezekiah entertains diginitaries from Babylon. He shows off all of his wealth. Babylon was encouraging countries to rebel against Assyria, and in this act Hezekiah falls into the temptation to trust human alliances and foreign powers rather than God. The prophet Isaiah pays an uninvited visit to the king, and rebukes him for his actions, prophecying that the wealth of Judah will one day be carried off to Babylon (Oswald observes “that which we trust in place of God will one day turn and destroy us”). Hezekiah accepts this prophecy, and seems glad that at least it will not happen in his day.

Guide me Lord as I trust completely in you. Thank you for this record of your dealings with the nation of Judah and its kings, prophets and people. Give me wisdom and discernment as a pastor in 2011 and as a member of the team which credentials pastors. Bless the flock called Wesley in Springfield, and especially those going through difficulties this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment