Thursday, March 3, 2011

March 3, 2011

3-3-11 Thursday, 5:45 am Columbia, 40 degrees, clear.

Today we finish up the work of the Board of Ordained Ministry as we meet through the morning. Jerry and I will ride back to Springfield together, with him driving as I work on sermon for the weekend at SunRise. Yesterday we met from 9:00 am until 8:30 pm, with two hour break for lunch. I was able to get in a 4 mile run, which felt great. If I exercise this morning, that will be three out of the four days here.

Isaiah 41

Verses 17-18: “The afflicted and needy are seeking water, but there is none, and their tongue is parched with thirst; I the Lord will answer them Myself, as the God of Israel I will not forsake them. I will open rivers on the bare heights, and springs in the midst of the valleys…” These verses remind me of Jesus at the well in Samaria stating to the woman that he could give her living water, that she would thirst no more. I am preaching on this verse at SunRise, returning this weekend as the founding pastor to O’Fallon, on the 20th anniversary of the first worship service of that new church.

Verses 21-24 are a mocking of idols and false gods who cannot predict the future, and whose “work amounts to nothing”. Israel, along with people before and after, have or will encounter the temptation to trust in someone or something other than God. This is especially true in my generation. I fully trust in God, and intend to do so until He receives me home into His arms for eternity. Guide me today, Holy Lord, as I trust You, and am not afraid, as I look to You for the source of my strength, wisdom and discernment.

No comments:

Post a Comment