Saturday, March 19, 2011

March 19, 2011

3-19-11 Saturday, 7:50 am Springfield, 47 degrees, Sunrise at 7:19 am, sunset at 7:24 pm (2-3 minutes a day of additional daylight adds up).

Isaiah 54

Chapter 54 (followed also by 55) is “a lyrical announcement of salvation, and a call to participate in and rejoice in its reality.” (Oswald) Coming just after the chapter on the suffering servant, this chapter tells Israel to “Shout for joy, O barren one, ... enlarge the place of your tent, stretch out the curtains of your dwellings...” (verses 1-2) As the people of Judah have been captives in Babylon, God will deliver them and return them to Palestine. The most important aspect is that God Himself is their husband, “whose name is the Lord of Hosts; and your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel, Who is called the God of all the earth.” (verse 5)

The last verse of the chapter has been put to music in a contemporary worship song: “No weapon that is formed against you shall prosper...” As a spiritual son of Israel, a servant in the body of Christ, I must rejoice daily in what God has done in bringing about salvation, and rejoice in its reality. Today I am experiencing a "funk", probably related to my travels, the cloudy day, the funeral lunch at Wesley, and the many unfinished and pending items on my to-do list. I look forward to worship tomorrow and to teaching on the growth choice as together we grow closer to God and more fruitful in the kingdom, enlarging the place of our tents.

Guide me today Lord, on this cloudy, quiet Saturday as I study your Word, prepare the message you have called me to deliver, and pastor your people.

1 comment:

  1. Had a similar feeling this morning as I arose. I say that in reference to your "feeling of funk". As I read your posting now a 11:00 a.m., God has brought Sunshine to our South Springfield area. Although the weather man tells me the possibility of showers exist. Glad you are back safely in Springfield. I am blessed with the glimpse of sunshine from God and a great spiritual mentor.

    ReplyDelete