Friday, March 4, 2011

March 4, 2011

3-4-11 Friday, 7:41 am Springfield, 50 degrees, sun through thin clouds, birds singing.

It is good to be home. The work of the board of ordained ministry is hard, and valuable to the church. Last night Audrey and I attended a concert at the James River Church, featuring Chris Tomlin and including Louie Giglio, founder of the Passion movement, and Passion Church in Atlanta. Formerly, he was leader of a college movement on the Baylor campus, and in Atlanta, a member of Andy Stanley’s church.

We so enjoyed the concert, which was much more an evening of worship and praise, with the packed auditorium singing Tomlin’s unique songs and inspired by Giglio’s teaching and energy for a God-centered life. Worshipping in that context reminded me of when I was 19 years old, a new, fully devoted follower of Christ, and worshipping in a large “box” church, praising God with the contemporary songs of 1975. I am inspired to invest all of my energy in pointing people to God and calling forth a people who will serve Him with their entire beings during this brief journey on planet earth.

Isaiah 42

“Behold, My Servant whom I uphold; My chosen one in whom My soul delights. I have put My Spirit upon Him; He will bring forth justice to the nations. … A bruised reed He will not break, and a dimly burning wick He will not extinguish.” (verses 1-3) This clear description of Jesus is beautiful. In various ways throughout the 66 chapters of Isaiah the Savior is described, promised, longed for and anticipated. Thus this book can be referred to as the “Gospel” of Isaiah! Verses 1-13 have blessed me deeply this morning.

Verse 8: “I am the Lord, that is My name; I will not give My glory to another, Nor My praise to graven images.” One of the significant problems of the people of God was (is) placing anything in the role of God in one’s life – money, hired armies, fame, health, happiness, etc. I must daily examine me life to make sure I am not doing so in this modern world context which I live and breathe. I desire for my response to be that of verse 10: “Sing to the Lord a new song, Sing His praise from the end of the earth! You who go down to the sea, and all that is in it.”

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me bless His holy Name! Let God arise, His enemies be scattered. Guide me today, most Holy Lord in all I think and speak and do as Your servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment