Thursday, March 10, 2011

March 10, 2011

3-10-11 Thursday, 5:38 am Springfield, 31 degrees, cloudy

I just read an article about the calculation for Easter Sunday, posted on the website of the USNO Astronomical Applications Department. It is complicated, and interesting to note that basically Easter falls on the first Sunday following the full moon occuring after the spring Equinox which is fixed on March 21. So, Easter can occur between March 22 and April 25. This year it falls on April 24, one of the latest possible dates.

Isaiah 46

“Bel crouches, Nebo cowers; their images have gone to beast and cow.” (verse 1) Bel and Nebo are two of the chief gods of Babylon (Oswald), and this section continues the theme begun in 45:20. God is superior to pagan gods in every way, but especially in his ability to deliver from the tragedies of life (Oswald).

God says to his people “Listen to me, O house of Jacob, and all the remnant of the house of Israel, you have been borne by me from birth, and have been carried from the womb; Even to your old age, I shall be the same, and even to your graying years I shall bear you! I have done it, and I shall carry you; and I shall bear you, and I shall deliver you.” (verses 3-4) I am in my graying years, and I recognize that God, who is the same, has carried me, borne, me and shall deliver me. I must never substitute trust in anything made by humans for the protection and deliverance that comes only from God.

Last night we began Lent with the imposition of ashes and a large congregation gathered at Wesley. My message was simple – spiritual training is more important than physical training – read your Bible, pray, fast and you will draw closer to God and be prepared to celebrate the resurrection – at Easter and the end of time. Guide me today Lord on this second day of Lent, as I read your Word in Isaiah, pray without ceasing, and prepare for fasting tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment