Thursday, March 17, 2011

March 17, 2011

3-17-11 Thursday, 6:36 am Wilmore, 41 degrees, clear.

Last night we had dinner at Rose Hill, the president’s residence. Audrey and I had a nice time, along with the other members of the Alumni Council and some of their spouses. Afterward we visited Jenny, a friend from college and seminary days at her apartment. Today we have a breakfast meeting, then two hours with the affinity group chairs, and we will head home. I am missing my peer mentoring group this morning, and I have others hosting and leading it.

As part of my devotions this morning I will write the 10 questions for the discipleship task force that met yesterday, as we work on becoming a large UMC that works hard on truly making disciples.

Isaiah 52

Verses 1-6 addresses the people of Zion who have been oppressed and taken captive. They (we) are told to Awake, cloth yourself in strength, shake yourself from the dust, loose yourself from the chains around your neck. “Therefore My people shall know My name” is the strength of those who follow God.

Verses 7-15 shift to the coming victory and freedom God will proclaim. Verse 7 is one of the most beautiful verses of Isaiah: “How lovely on the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who announces peace and brings good news of happiness, who announces salvation, and says to Zion, ‘your God reigns!’” I love this verse and it speaks to me about the aspect of my calling to announce good news, to announce salvation and to teach about the reign of God to my generation. Guide me today Lord as I go about serving as your messenger and herald of good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment