Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March 16, 2011

3-16-11 Wednesday, 7:11 am Wilmore, 40 degrees, breezy.

Yesterday was a good day of meetings, planning and fellowship. I wrote my pastor’s pen and worked on my sermon as well as being present for each session of the Asbury Alumni Council. Today we have another day of meetings, finishing up with dinner at Rose Hill, the president’s residence. I had good conversation with several pastors about their churches, especially the pastor of Mt. Pisgah in north Atlanta. He has defined discipleship with 5 statements describing what a disciple of Jesus Christ does.

Isaiah 51

Verses 1-3 address people who pursue righteousness, who seek the Lord.
Verses 4-8 are God’s statements to His people – even though the sky will vanish like smoke and the earth wear out like a garment, His salvation shall be forever, and His righteousness shall not wane.
Verses 9-11 address God, reminding Him of his great acts in the past, and pointing to the future when:
“the redeemed of the Lord will return, and come with singing unto Zion, and everlasting joy will be upon their heads. They will obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow, and sighing will flee away.” (Bible song I learned in the 70s)

This is a beautiful chapter, with various voices. This morning with limited time to read it I am reminded of the work of God on behalf of His people, and how that in the middle of history as I am, I must daily realize that God is not finished yet. Yesterday I was reminded of Bonhoeffer’s words that when Jesus says “follow me”, he means “come and die with me”. I look forward to the end of time, when gladness and joy will be obtained, and sorrow will flee away. In the mean time I aim to live as a fully devoted follower of Christ, who worships, cares, and serves.

No comments:

Post a Comment