Monday, March 28, 2011

March 28, 2011

3-28-11 Monday, 4:52 am Springfield, 31 degrees, light dusting of snow!

It feels good to get up early, feeling rested, and to see snow on the rooftops. I am leaning into this week, with a day at the office today to work ahead, given that I will be attending Bethany’s senior recital on Friday. Yesterday was a good day of worship and ministry as we wrapped up the eight week series entitled “Life Hurts, God Heals.”

Isaiah 61

“The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives ... To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn.” (verses 1-2, quoted by Jesus in Luke 4:17-21 as he reads scripture in the synagogue)

These verses clearly point to Jesus, who claims them as prophecy which he fulfilled. Claiming them as such got him thrown out of the synagogue and almost killed (Luke 4:29). That Jesus read this passage, was familiar with this book of the Old Testament strengthens my interest in this prophecy and my desire to preach and teach its message. I am considering calling Tim LaHaye today and inviting him to Wesley, perhaps in conjunction with a series of messages from Isaiah.

The words in verse three were put to music that I sang in the 70’s at the Youth For Christ meetings I attended on the Anderson’s farm: “[He] gave them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.” Perhaps David Ingles recorded this song. I desire to work hard establishing God’s forest, “the planting of the Lord”, “trees of righteousness”. In Kentucky there is a pine forest that my dad and I planted between 1972 and 1976 which is regenerating itself. My hope is to continue to plant and cultivate spiritual trees (God’s servants) who will regenerate (develop disciples) increasingly into the future.

Thank you Lord for Mondays. May the work of my hands, the words of my mouth, the thoughts of my mind and the feelings from my heart be honoring to You, and extend Your kingdom on earth today.

No comments:

Post a Comment