Saturday, March 5, 2011

March 5, 2011

3-5-11 Saturday, 7:15 am, 31 degrees, cloudy.

We have a nesting pair of bluebirds! This is the third year I have put out a bluebird house, and it is a little tricky to get a pair of the state birds to use it. Bluebirds are territorial, needing at least 300 feet of separation from each other. Sometimes sparrows beat them to it. Last night I saw the pair, and this morning I saw one of them fly from the house. There is something gratifying about providing a good habitat for these creatures. I placed a second bluebird house across the yard on my back fence, and in it a very proud pair of sparrows is building a nest.

Tonight I preach at SunRise on the twentieth anniversary of the first worship service. I am looking forward to bringing a 20 minute message on “Living Water”. Tomorrow there will be three services and then an afternoon reception. Pastor Jerry is preaching the 4 services at Wesley.

Isaiah 43

This is such a beautiful expression of God’s love and care for His people! “But now says the Lord, your Creator, O Jacob, and he who formed you, O Israel, Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are Mine!” (verse 1) “Do not fear, for I am with you” (verse 5) In verse 14 God refers to Himself as “the Lord your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.” This chapter makes it clear that God has provided what is needed for the people of Israel, including what they (and we) need the most: “I, even I, am the one who wipes out your transgressions for My own sake; and I will not remember your sins.” (verse 23)

This chapter also contains clear teaching about who God is: “... I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, And there will be none after Me. I, even I am the Lord; and there is no savior besides Me ... Even from eternity I am He; and there is none who can deliver out of My hand; I act and who can reverse it?” (verses 10-13) On this cold, wet, morning in late winter it is so helpful for me to remember who God is, and what God does, recalibrating my human brain as it precesses toward thinking that I am in charge and that I could save myself. (precession is a mechanical process involving disturbing torque!)

Thank You Lord for this chapter of Holy Scripture. My steps are ordered by You, and I will serve you with joy and gladness today.

No comments:

Post a Comment