Tuesday, January 17, 2012

January 17, 2012

Matthew 13

Jesus teaches the crowds in parables. The disciples get a fuller explanation, for example of the parable of the sower who scattered seed on different kinds of ground. When the disciples asked him why he spoke in parables, he replied “to you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been granted.” He quotes Isaiah saying “You keep on hearing, but will not understand; and you will keep on seeing, but will not perceive;” He concludes by telling the disciples that they are blessed because of what they see and hear.

Still it is true in this era, that some people see and hear with understanding, experiencing the fullness of God’s grace and mercy, while many people see and hear, and do not understand, do not become followers of Christ. This is a mystery, one which I embrace and accept.

Yesterday I completed my last long training run before the February 5 marathon. I ran-walked 24 miles in 4 hours 56 minutes, averaging 11:56 a mile. This is the longest distance I have ever covered in training for a marathon. With the goal of completing one marathon a decade, I am confident that in three weeks I can complete a marathon at the age of 55.

I had lots of time to think while running yesterday. It was a beautiful day, with the temperature in the mid-sixties, unseasonably warm for January in Missouri. As I was enjoying the sights, sounds and smells of the Frisco Highline Trail I was remembering the people and the groups with whom I have run in the past. My first running partners were Bob Johnson and his next door neighbor, both in their 40s as I was preparing for my freshman year in high school. They took me to a nearby track as I prepared for what would be my first Cross Country season. They encouraged me in those early morning runs as I tried to complete the quarter mile laps according to the summer workout schedule provided by the coach. When the season started, I discovered that I was one of the slowest runners on the team. We were blessed with excellent distance runners who won our first several meets. Our coach said that if we went through the season undefeated, he would letter the whole team. For the first time in school history, a team completed an undefeated season, and as the slowest runner, who never scored a point for the team, I was awarded a freshman letter in Cross Country. What an experience of Grace!

Throughout high school I tried out for various sports from which I was cut from the teams. The track and cross country teams took all comers, with no cutting, and it was on the track team that I found a home and a place to belong as an “athlete”. I have great memories of the years of training with different members of the team as we worked out on the track, and completed longer runs on the road. I usually ran in Junior Varsity meets, but did score one varsity point for my track team in a two-mile race my junior year. At the end of my senior year I was awarded a varsity letter in track for my persistence, having been on the team each year during high school. (What do you do with a varsity letter in May of your senior year?)

I began running marathons while I was in seminary, training with two friends during the spring semester of my first year. We ran the Mother’s day marathon in Columbus Ohio, and Rob and I tied for 14th. 15 years later I completed a marathon out of Columbia Missouri, having trained with a friend from church. We both had elementary aged children, and our training schedule was worked around the schedules of our families. My goal is to complete a marathon in each decade of my life, into my 70s.

As I was running yesterday, I was thinking about the similarities between running and the life of a disciple of Christ. There is an acceptance by the community of “all comers”, no one is cut from the team. There is work to be done to prepare a person for this life, which includes a discipline and much effort. The follower of Christ must deny oneself, and become single-focused with the eye on the prize of the high calling in Jesus. Following Christ requires companions. A person simply cannot pursue this spiritual life alone. There are usually different companions at different seasons along the journey.

Where are you in this life of discipleship? As I prepare for this my fourth marathon, I realize that I am down the road a fair piece, with hopefully a significant distance still to go. I read this week that the last long run preceding one’s marathon is the most important run. Given that I will do this once a decade, it occurred to me while running yesterday that it was my most important training run of the decade! And thus I gave it my all.

As we begin to gather the people of Wesley into spring Life Groups, the Holy Spirit is leading each of us to the group that can be the most helpful for this part of the journey. I encourage you not to miss this opportunity – it could be the beginning of a long season of discipleship, or this group this spring could be the most important one of this decade for you in your walk with Christ. Use one of the paper signup forms, or for a high tech option, text 417.429.0967 your first and last name, and we can help you find just the right group. I look forward to the journey with you as we Change the World through our life groups this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment