Monday, January 30, 2012

January 30, 2012

This is one of those mornings in which I was awake at 3:00, and tossed and turned until 4:00 when I got up. Today is odd in that it is my sabbath, and I will be working, with our HCI coach Doug Anderson – 4:30 meeting, dinner, 7:00 meeting. I need to go to the office and get the board of ordained ministry packet to review sermon and worship tapes submitted by candidates for the ordained ministry. I have some flexible time through the day. I will begin with scripture and prayer, and then plan my day.

Matthew 20

Jesus describes the kingdom of heaven using a parable of a landowner who hired men to work. The first group he hired early, to work for a denarius (the equivalent of a day’s wages). He went out to hire men again at 9, at noon and at 3 pm and hired additional men. He went out at the 11th hour (5 pm) and finding men unemployed he asked why, to which they replied “because no one hired us”, and he employed them to work in his vineyard. At the end of the day he settled up, starting with the last ones hired to whom he paid a denarius. When the ones hired early in the day were paid a denarius they grumbled at the landlord, saying they had borne the burden during the scorching heat of the day. The landowner responded “is your eye envious because I am generous?” (Verse 15, 16) Jesus concluded this teaching by saying “thus the last shall be first, and the first last.”

This parable is hard to swallow for people who have been serving God all their lives. It reminds me of the parable of the prodigal son. The generosity of God can result in the envy and ill will of people who are religious or legalistic. There is joy in doing God’s will, in walking with Him throughout one’s life. The true servant of God is always looking to include more people in the kingdom and in the work of God. The vision of Wesley is to reach those who are spiritually asleep in our mission field. God is generous, and the sons and daughters of God must extend that generosity to all, especially those who are included later in the day.

Guide me today Lord as I labor in your vineyard. Increase my generosity as an extension of your character, living in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment